Friday, March 11, 2016

Starting With GIMP

There's a subreddit on Reddit called Photoshop Battles where people post photos and ask other people to try their best to make an interesting photoshopped version of the posted photo. Today this photo caught my attention:


I immediately thought of DeepMind's rising super-star AlphaGo and it's recent victories over Lee Sedol in the currently on-going five game match in Korea. "Wouldn't it be funny to slap an AlphaGo logo onto the air plane?", I thought.

I don't know any image editing. But there's a first time for everything.

Installing GIMP

sudo apt-get install GIMP

Done! And all that was required was the laborious and error-prone task of entering a password.

First I loaded the photo into GIMP. Then I loaded the AlphaGo logo into GIMP "as a layer".


It was too large! Time for some basic image operations (scaling, shearing, perspective shifting and moving ... ).



I had some trouble moving the logo around as the program kept selecting the airplane photo instead.
It turns out one has to click on a visible portion of a layer when trying to select it for movement, i.e. I had to click on the tiny AlphaGo decal.

After a tiny bit of work:


TADA! Not very good but it's all I wanted really.
(I added a little Korean Flag in as well.)

Conclusion: Image editing is fun! I want to learn more now!

No comments :

Post a Comment